31 Jan Looking for a New Job in 2018? Start Here.
For many professionals, a new year means a fresh start and the pursuit of new goals and resolutions, which may include starting a job search or pursuing strategically planned career changes. Luckily, for many companies, this is the time of year where headcounts and budgets are approved for the year, leading to the creation of new career opportunities (including at Navigate!). Keep reading for some thoughts and tips on how to make the most of this time of year.
How to Find the Right Fit
To start, think about the job description of your next position and write down three responsibilities or job functions that you’d require to be happy and engaged, “must haves” in order for you to make a move. Make sure those three things are a significant part of the job you are considering. If you are offered a position that doesn’t match your top three, really think about your motivation to take the role and the potential risks in doing so.
Next, write down three adjectives to describe the culture or environment of your ideal workplace to compare with the research you do on potential employers. Follow that with listing the top three qualities of your favorite or an ideal manager. See where this is going? Collectively, all three of these lists will serve as a way to gauge how likely it is that you’ll succeed – and be happy – in your next position. Recruiting and hiring leaders, feel free to use those three questions in your first-round interviews!
Another important “match” in the game of “career concentration” is alignment with a potential employer’s values, which directly affect the day-to-day work environment. When your values align with the company’s values, you’re more likely to have a productive, long-term relationship. If this information isn’t available on the company’s website or doesn’t come up in conversation, don’t be afraid to ask what their values are and how employees “walk the talk.”
Finally, consider if the position – and the company – offer the opportunity for you to grow and expand your skillset and do work that has a real impact. If you have specific goals for your career, determine how this move will help you achieve those goals over both the short and long term. For those doing the hiring, look beyond hiring for the immediate need; hire talented people who will grow with you and contribute now and in the future.
Work With Navigate
As you’re considering your next step, we invite you to learn more about Navigate. We’re a management consulting firm that helps our clients solve their key business problems, but we don’t take ourselves too seriously (if you haven’t figured that out). Here’s what you need to know:
– With offices in Wayne and Philadelphia, we firmly believe in more dinners at home, fewer plane rides, and greater flexibility for our employees for the things that matter the most.
– We are a fun and engaging firm, working both smart and hard to solve our clients’ problems and support their growth.
– We’ve been named the #1 Best Small Firm to Work For for three years in a row by Consulting Magazine.
– We were named one of Philadelphia Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in 2017 … YAY!
– We have a set of nine core values that all team members believe in and display on a daily basis, and we bring them to every client engagement: Integrity, candor, levity, commitment, flexibility, humility, resilience, impact, and empathy.
– In addition to those core values, we also seek talented team members who are willing to lead, take ownership and risks, and make big decisions.
As we’re a growing company, we’ve brought on a number of new employees in the past year; check out what they have to say:
“It was very clear during both the recruiting and interview process that Navigate wasn’t just going through the motions – they were truly interested in me and my background. They made sure that Navigate would not only be a good fit for me, but a place where I could succeed. Every day, I’m involved in such exciting, diverse, and impactful engagements that coming to work is something I look forward to.”
– Bryan Gelles, Senior Consultant
“The best part about the recruiting and interview process at Navigate was the candor of our conversations. If you’re interested in joining the Navigate team, I encourage you to be yourself and to be open and honest about your experience and what you’re looking for in your career. Navigate wants you to succeed, and the only way they can ensure mutual happiness and success is if you’re on the same page from the beginning.”
– David Patchen, Senior Consultant
“The best part of being a new hire at Navigate was the immediate exposure to opportunities outside of traditional project work. In my first week, I took part in an oral presentation for a major prospective client, took a crash course in Design Thinking, and began building a strategy for the development of our risk practice. I have never experienced this in any other workplace before, and it really validated my decision to join the Navigate team.”
– Dillon McClernon, Senior Consultant
This video also features Navigate employees discussing what it’s like to work for the company. If you’re interested in learning more and joining the team, we have open positions in:
– Business Development
– Human Resources – Talent Strategist
– Management Consulting – Senior Consultants and Managers with change management, cyber, and Design Thinking expertise