Improving Financial & Operational Performance
In order to balance increasing demands, remain competitive, and achieve business goals, financial and operational performance must be at its peak. We work with clients to help improve operations overall as well as within specific business areas, and also to identify and achieve cost savings that impact your bottom line.
Cost Reduction project for a large State Toll Highway
This client was undergoing a merger and sought to collect and assess the annual spend of the two merging organizations in order to identify collective savings opportunities.
Navigate analyzed over $400M of annual spend data by:
- Collecting data from both organizations and organizing into a database classified by supplier and category
- Interviewed key stakeholders in order to better understand usage and buying patterns
- Reviewing existing contracts and pricing
As a result, Naviagte delivered:
- $10M in annual savings identified for immediate sourcing in IT and multiple operational areas
- Categorized plan for achieving savings opportunities
- More strategic, formal sourcing approach
Spend Analysis & Strategic Sourcing project for a large University/Medical Center
The client was looking to identify savings opportunities by collecting and assessing data throughout both the university and the medical center.
The Navigate team analyzed over $700M in annual spend data, working closely with the client’s Purchasing, Accounts Payable, IT, and Operations departments. This project entailed:
- Gathering data into a database grouped by supplier and category
- Interviewing key stakeholders to better understand spending
- Identifying organizational consumption patterns
- Reviewing current contracts and costs per item
Navigate’s client benefitted from:
- $7M in initial, annual savings identified for immediate sourcing
- Customized roadmap for achieving identified savings
- More strategic, formal souring approach
Business Process Management project for a global Pharmaceutical company
The Standard Operating Procedure documentation (SOPs) used by the client’s Global Research and Development (R&D) Team had become outdated, resulting in decreased compliance and increased regulatory risk.
Navigate partnered with a software provider to revise and replace these SOPs by:
- Facilitating collaborative global design meetings with subject matter experts
- Coordinating review, refinement, and global approval efforts
- Establishing policies and procedures for the approval of SOPs, process diagrams, and supporting internal and regulatory documents
As a result of these efforts, the client has improved its R&D procedures globally with:
- Updated and globally-accepted SOPs that have increased relevant compliance and decreased risk
- Several discrete sets of supporting process diagrams, complete with narratives and links to external systems
- Audit trail support for all modifications raised that were not consistent with details of currently approved SOPs
- Best-practice feedback on how the SOP governance process could be refined for greater efficiency and heightened control
Functional Performance Review project for a large Software company
The client wanted to assess the performance of a key business function and make sure it was aligned to the company’s most critical business initiatives.
As part of its assessment of key business processes, the Navigate team:
- Conducted interviews and prepared an assessment of the function in its current state
- Defined resulting gaps and created an improvement agenda
- Conducted a debriefing session with the project’s sponsors
- Reviewed results with management
Through Navigate’s efforts, the company benefitted from:
- Clearer understanding of the audit committee’s and management’s expectations of the function
- Assessment of the function’s current state against leading practices
- Actionable steps to achieve desired performance and better alignment to key business initiatives
- More effective decision-making related to investments in the function
Business Process Assessment project for a large Manufacturing company
The client’s procedures for providing customer quotes, capturing orders, and forecasting demand was too manually driven and led to errors during order fulfillment. This impacted both cost of sales and customer satisfaction.
The client asked Navigate to help better understand the issues and identify opportunities for improvement. Navigate examined current business practices through interviews and evaluation of existing processes; this included:
- Assessment of processes performed by sales across various regions
- Examination of demand planning activities performed by marketing and manufacturing operations
- Development of understanding of organization culture and ability to adapt to change or further leverage technology
Navigate identified eight specific and achievable initiatives to improve business sales processes, better forecast demand, and advance customer satisfaction. Each recommendation was prioritized and ranked based on operational impact and complexity to implement.