Companies invest significantly in technology – and, in return, expect real value toward achieving business goals. It is critical to understand the options and considerations related to enterprise systems, hosted environments, and mobile computing, and how to best support your selected technologies as effectively and securely as possible.
IT Assessment project for a Real Estate company
While the client had experienced significant growth in recent years, the role of and investment in IT had remained unchanged.
Navigate conducted a thorough assessment of the client’s IT function, focusing on its ability to serve all critical roles to the business through organizational alignment, process effectiveness, and the use and management of technology. This process included:
- 15 stakeholder interviews, to evaluate how IT supports the business strategy and objectives
- In-depth infrastructure review to better understand current and potential future IT environment, as well as associated gaps
Following this assessment, Navigate:
- Identified opportunities to leverage managed services as a means of providing stable performance and more manageable cost structures, and, most importantly, to free up existing IT resources to more proactively support the business
- Developed a customized IT roadmap for the next 12 months to allow the client to improve its IT infrastructure and general support to the business by implementing various proven practices
Post-Merger Integration project for an Energy company
With the purchase of a large majority of assets owned by another firm, the two companies needed to divide and distribute an extensive technological infrastructure and work through related business implications.
Navigate served as an intermediary providing strategic IT planning and execution services related to the transaction, including:
- Guidance on all transaction work streams
- Leadership of communication efforts across and between both companies to create an understanding of transaction goals and objectives
Following the acquisition, both companies had successful and sustainable technology systems and plans in place. Outcomes included:
- Strategic IT roadmaps for both companies that included resource allocation
- IT decisions and solutions with executive sponsorship
- PMO activities at both companies aligned, and escalated decision points effectively resolved
IT Organizational Design project for a large Architectural firm
The client sought to increase employee accountability and productivity within its IT department where, in recent years, growing demand and economic pressures required the CIO to tighten resources.
Navigate interviewed a broad cross-section of management and staff, and examined job descriptions and the client’s organizational structure in order to understand the department’s management style; performance management and program management systems; communications protocol; and operating procedures.
Navigate identified and implemented a project management approach to guide project execution, as well as a department-wide performance management program that aligned with compensation incentive programs.
The IT department is now more accountable to supporting the business, and more effectively executes strategic and operational initiatives.
ERP Upgrade project for a midsized Pharmaceutical company
The client’s financial Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software required an upgrade as a result of a new version release; the company did not have the internal resources to complete this project.
Navigate was asked to assemble the project team of technical and business resources to manage the project to completion. In this role, Navigate:
- Analyzed current and future system processes for risks
- Created a project plan and managed all activities
- Assembled a project team representing IT infrastructure, business users, and external technical subject matter experts
- Provided weekly status reports to management
- Performed requested compliance and risk assessments
Navigate’s work resulted in a comprehensive test plan, risk assessment, data migration plan, and end-user training program. The team successfully implemented the upgraded financial software on time and within budget, providing advanced functionality within the client’s accounting and financial reporting system.
ERP Software Selection project for a family owned HVAC Distribution company
The client needed to replace its existing Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and was struggling to complete the software selection process.
Navigate shared its proven approach and guidelines for software selection to help the client make the best decision to meet its needs. Key steps included:
- Establishing a standard vendor scoring and comparison tool
- Creating and managing standard vendor RFPs
- Creating a consolidated “total input” view of all vendor offers to support an informed negotiation process
- Facilitating executive workshops to drive a final decision
The client successfully completed the software selection, including:
- Completed negotiation process and executed term agreement that included over $500,000 of real cost savings and $250,000 of additional software and services
- Executed vendor contracts and implementation kick-off
IT Effectiveness Project for a global Chemicals company
The client sought to improve effectiveness around how its IT organization supports the business operations and strategy.
Navigate worked with the company’s change management team and provided advisory services in two key areas:
- Key messaging:
- Articulated the project’s link to both the IT and overall business strategies
- Crafted core messaging
- Developed a compelling business story that explained the project’s background and its significance.
- Stakeholder analysis and change impact:
- Developed a change process and communications plan
- Guided the internal change management team through plan implementation
Navigate worked alongside the company to improve IT department performance. Outcomes included:
- Defined and implemented key initiatives that improved accountability in supporting company operations
- A more effective “learning organization” that is adaptable to change
- Strategies for accelerating progress and measuring results
ERP Improvement project for a large Pharmaceutical company
The client was struggling with a global, multi-million-dollar Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) project, aimed at streamlining financial and business operations, that was behind schedule and lacked the project management and leadership skills necessary for successful delivery within budget.
The client engaged Navigate to triage and remediate issues, and manage the project. Navigate’s role included working within an existing project structure and providing immediate value by:
- Driving accountability and ownership through enforced deadlines and improved progress monitoring
- Enhancing team communications through formal and consistent project updates, with relevant content reported to stakeholders
- Improving the scheduling, management, and tracking of work effort, individual activities, and key milestones
Navigate was recognized as providing the project leadership and governance that enabled this significant project to be delivered successfully, on schedule, and within budget, helping the client achieve its goals of improving financial and business operations.